Top 5 Sleep Tips for Safer Sleep week
This week is Safer Sleep week (12th – 18th March) which is a campaign geared towards educating us all on how to make safer choices when it comes to our little dreamers sleeping environment.
Whether you are a returning customer or discovering Merifor for the very first time, what you may notice is that we take protecting your future dreamer very seriously. Not only is it about the mattress that you choose that will determine the quality of your child’s sleep but also the practices that you carry out. In honour of this special week, we thought we would share with you a few of our favourite and most recommended practices that will ensure safer sleep for your little one, this week and always.
1. The feet to foot rule. Always place your baby on their back to sleep, with their feet to the foot of the cot, cotbed, moses or crib
2. It’s important that your child doesn’t over or under heat: create the perfect sleeping environment by ensuring that the room is quiet, cool, dark and comfortable. A temperature of between 16-20 degrees is good, with 18 degrees being the optimal temperature.
3. Sleep tight? Tucking your child’s bedding securely under their arms will prevent their head getting covered in the night.
4. As appealing as it is, placing toys and blankets in your child’s bed may not be best practice. Remove all pillows, toys and thick blankets that could be a suffocation hazard from their cot. A best night’s sleep is a simple night’s sleep.
5. A well fitted mattress to the cot is very important and seeking the right advice when purchasing your cot/cotbed and mattress is essential. Check how it fits by pushing your child’s mattress to one corner, it’s important there is no more than a 3cm gap between the frame and the mattress. By checking this, you will reduce the risk of entrapment.
Your child is the most precious thing you will ever hold in your arms. By ensuring a safer sleeping environment, you can rest assured that your little one is getting a restful night’s sleep and has the best start in life.
For further information on our Merifor mattress range, click here.
Follow us on our Instagram page for more sleep tips.
Wishing you and your little one sweet dreams,
The Merifor team x